Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Serving others

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:45

I have been thinking some lately about serving others. I had an experience last week that brought this thinking more to the surface. I am in a very busy season of life...busy in the sense that with two small children in the house, it seems like the physical daily demands are high. I can find myself getting tired easily. I can also find that I get frustrated easily. The day in/day out challenges of two small children can empty my tank pretty quickly, so here is where serving comes in...

Even Jesus did not come to be served but to serve and He was God!! When I find myself getting stuck, I have realized that the best thing I can do is to serve others. There are SO many people around me who are in the same boat I am in, so it makes a difference to find ways to serve them. Also, it is amazing to me what a difference it makes in my heart when I do serve others...when I step outside of "myself" and think "What can I do for someone else today?"

So, even when I am serving others, there is a blessing to be found. I hope I can continue to keep this on the forefront of my mind. My circumstances may not change for a while, but my attitude and actions in the midst of it can definitely make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Cammie. Turning inward is usually my default as I spend my days and my energy "serving" my children. But I really want them to see me serving and giving to others, to build that into the fabric of our everyday lives. Thanks for the reminder!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete