Tuesday, July 28, 2009

And let us consider...

" Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful. AND LET US CONSIDER how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. LET US NOT GIVE UP meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another, AND ALL THE MORE, as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:23-25

Sometimes I read familiar passages of Scripture and they hit me in a new and fresh way. This happened today. A recent conversation reminded me of this passage of Scripture. There have been times in my life where I have read this and glossed over it, because it was something that was just lived out naturally. Then there are times, like now, where I read that passage, and I wonder...Am I meeting together regularly with people who are encouraging me in my faith and vice versa? How many "small groups" have I been in that have just fizzled out for one reason or another, so that it becomes easy to do what others "are in the habit of doing"...which is not meeting together? Has life gotten so busy that it is okay to not do this in certain seasons? I don't think so.

I think it takes work to be in relationships with others. I think it takes work to carve out time in schedules to make this a priority. But is it important? Yes, it is. I need to be considering how I can spur on those around me. I also need to be an encourager to the people in my life. I firmly believe I can either build people up or tear them down with my words and actions- I know I have been on the receiving end of both, and yet encouragement is so vital in our walk with Christ.

So, my prayer today is that I will live this out in my life. Help me to be wise with my words, my actions and my thoughts. Help me to be a life-giver in my relationships.And help me to encourage those around me...all the more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment