Sunday, June 13, 2010

Aren't you glad I am not God?

That is what I found myself thinking yesterday...I am glad I am not God, and you should be too! (-: He is infinitely more patient, loving, and forgiving than I am!

It started yesterday morning when Taylor came to me with a bottle of my nail polish in her hand and asked me if I could paint her nails for her dance recital, which was that evening. I told her she was not allowed to have nail polish on her fingers for the recital and then asked her to please go put the nail polish back in my bathroom. She walked away with it in her hand and it seemed that she took longer than usual to get back to me. When she did come back, she said, "Um mom, the nail polish broke." I put Zach down , shut the door, and went into my bathroom to find a shattered bottle of hot pink nail polish everywhere on the floor. Taylor told me she was sorry and I basically stood there dumbfounded because I had no idea how to clean up such a mess. I tried nail polish remover and that did not work, so I left it alone for hours until I could get back to it while the kids were resting in the afternoon and I had some time to look up on the internet what I should do.

I was so frustrated and yet I knew it was an accident! Accidents happen all the time and I also knew Taylor was sorry for what had happened. What was so interesting to me, though, is even KNOWING all that, I still found myself bringing it up to her a couple of times throughout the morning. Why? Because I was frustrated? Why would I take it out on her? It was not willful disobedience...it was a mistake.

Here is what I realized , though. I was reminded at some point of the verse that says "I, even I , am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and REMEMBERS YOUR SINS NO MORE." (Isaiah 43:25) God does not remember our sins after we have confessed them to Him. He does not rub it back in our face. He does not remind us of our failings. In fact, "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalms 103:12

I thought about those verses and then I thought about myself. I was reminded of how GOOD God is, and how amazing His ability to forgive and forget is, and how HUMAN I am, even when it comes to something as simple as a bottle of nail polish on the bathroom floor!!!

After some research, and a Magic Eraser, the spill came up, but the lesson in my heart remains. I am so grateful God does not treat our sins, our mistakes, our disobedience, our turning our backs on Him, like I do! His Magic Eraser is REAL and it is because of Jesus that He remembers my sins no more. I hope to become a little more like Him the next time something like this happens...which will most likely be very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment